I am an occupational therapist who has been working in the field for almost ten years. Recently, I have noticed that children who have come to school-age face serious attention deficit, loneliness, lack of concentration and lack of motivation. In this context, I conducted various researches. I have discovered a number of factors that influence the proportions of children’s commitment and motivation in everyday life and have an impact on children’s communication with peers.
Many teachers have also observed that children’s ability to learn new things has also decreased recently. It is very important to understand what problems children are experiencing at the point of adopting new inputs and to solve problems. Therefore, we have prepared the following article for you.
There are many factors that can cause children to have focus problems. Let’s examine these factors.
Technology, which has been present in every aspect of our lives in recent years, is one of the types of stimuli that children are exposed to frequently. Frequent use of technology may have children become accustomed to images of virtual reality in a very short time. These virtual reality images make children find life unsatisfying and bored when they come to real life. There are many worlds, reality, and games that children can enjoy through technological tools. Having to leave such a diverse world and encountering the challenges of real life is not a joy for a child. Therefore, periodic problems of children and lack of motivation are often associated with this situation. In addition, the widespread use of technology adversely affects the interaction of individuals in the family. Individuals often prefer to spend time on social media instead of communicating with each other. This situation causes individuals to spend less time on their children.
2. Children want to enjoy every moment of their lives
The skills we need to be successful are many. Some of these are to keep our momentary needs and wishes and to accept the moment of uncomfortability for long-term purposes. It is not possible to say that children have been very successful in recent years. Parents who fulfill every wish of their children instantly prevent children from developing themselves in terms of delay gratification. Unfortunately, not all places in social life offer the endless opportunity and tolerance offered by parents to children. Children are disappointed when they notice this situation. This frustration can prevent children from being motivated. In order to avoid such a situation, children need to actively strive to learn what they want and learn to wait.
3. Everything in daily life is determined by the wishes of children
There are many things that children love and dislike in everyday life. The life routine in the family can often be aimed at making children happy and preventing the involvement of a traumatic situation in their developmental processes. This is very important. Parents overlook a very important detail to keep their children happy. Doing whatever they want to make children happy will make them unhappy in the long run. Because children will also expect other people and other rules to be shaped according to their wishes in their social lives. But in the real social world, the individual can never get what he wants. Therefore, your child will be disappointed and will start to experience new experiences. This will decrease your child’s academic success and negatively affect his / her social relations.
4. Fun and stimuli never end
Nowadays, we are constantly under the influence of various stimuli along with the level of development of the technology and entertainment sector. This situation is not only for us but also for children. Exposure of children to such situations, unfortunately, causes children to spend a quiet and free time. The silent time spent increases the mental capacity during the day and helps us secrete the serotonin hormone. Every individual needs to be present without warning at certain times of the day. But unfortunately, in today’s conditions, children spend time with stimuli where entertainment is offered at any moment.
5. Children do not have enough opportunities to engage in social interaction
Children do not have enough opportunities to engage in social interaction. The inability of parents to spend enough time with children, children spending time with digital devices instead of performing enjoyable activities with their families outside, causes a serious decrease in social interaction. The fact that children do not participate in outdoor activities with friends and family can cause many problems. Therefore, increasing social interaction can also allow children to discharge their energy and concentrate more quickly when they sit down to study.
What can you do to re-raise your child’s mental potential and make your child feel better? Let’s examine it together.
1. Take care to limit the area of technology in your life. A child who is less interested in the technology may have more time for other hobbies and social activities. In this way, you can make your child feel better, more social and more energetic. Choose activities where you can have fun with the family. For example, you can go to dinner or a picnic.
2. Try to educate most of you about delayed gratification. Teach your child that he can’t get everything he wants exactly when he wants to. In this context, you will increase your child’s awareness of delayed gratification.
3. Feel free to set limits for your child on some issues. Eternal freedom can cause the child to become unhappy by being indecisive among different options. If you really want to have a healthy and happy child, you should set limits on some issues. Apply various limits on the money your child can spend, the time they can watch television or the time they can play computer games. In doing so, consider in detail what is good and what is bad for your child. Also, consider in detail what your child likes and dislikes. In this context, try to create a balance.
4. It is really important that your child can sit at the desk for a long time to realize a project. That’s why you can give your child small tasks from an early age.
5. Teach your child which behaviors are considered socially good. Let your child learn to thank, do good and not be selfish.